Tuesday 10 August 2010

visibility, in black and white.



My friend sent me this the other day. First it made me laugh. Then it made me angry. Then it made me cry. Now I'd like to know what you think.

I think it's beautiful and subversive and the last 30 seconds are very touching. I really appreciate someone appreciating how hard being invisible is. I do. Thank you. And I guess because it's about stereotypes and visibility, much of it would naturally be about appearance. But I'm not sure I'm happy with the way she paints everything in black and white, only acknowledging butch/fem expression. Or the way in which she objectifies fem bodies. Someone wearing matching underwear and 5-inch heels makes her life seem perfect? My life always tended to get a bit closer to perfection when a partner told me that matching underwear was just about the last thing on their mind. Fair enough, if that's her thing. But personally (disclaimer: I'm going to make a massive ridiculous exaggerated sweeping generalisation now, just to make my point clear) - I don't want to put up with the same pressure coming from a queer woman that one might expect from many straight men. So can I please be beautiful and kick ass and fight homophobia despite the fact that I don't confirm to that stereotype - and because I don't?

1 comment:

  1. I should've seen this 3 years or so ago. Somehow i can relate really well to the poem. I guess Ivan's not suggesting that this is THE way to live. She's just being honest and critcal of himself at the same time, I guess. The crises of female maculinities and (trans-)men critical of their masculinity probably share some aspects. Who would've thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete