Wednesday 25 August 2010

Martha Nussbaum on conscience and burqa bans

The truly excellent philosopher* Martha Nussbaum has a must-read op-ed in the NYTimes on why it is discriminatory for liberal democracies to ban the burqa and niqab (hat tip: UPenn Fword).

The piece starts a really interesting discussion of equal dignity, accommodation for religious practice, and "conscience clauses", much of which I will have to digest further before I can comment on it.

She also responds to the most common arguments for the banning of the burqa, with some really clear points, and with particularly excellent attention to women's rights.

I can't pick a section to quote because it's all so good,** so do yourself a favour, hop on over, and read.

--IP


*I love her brain. Have I said I love her brain?
**I might have mentioned that I love her brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment