Friday 31 December 2010

'Tis the season

Of food. If you're celebrating something this time of year, you're probably eating.

Chronic pain and fatigue mean that I struggle with energy for preparing square meal. Increasingly this means I make use of one-pot recipes, but sometimes the desire to eat/serve something a little bit different can mean that I spend dramatic amounts of energy and can be tired for days. So I need a new repertoire, and gradually I'm finding new dishes and combinations that work well.

I occasionally browse cookbook sections in bookshops, but generally find these are not as helpful as one might think. See, I know how to cook. The problem is not learning to cook, but thinking up dishes that meet the necessary restrictions. Moreover, most cookbooks seems to have a dramatically different idea from me of what constitutes an "easy" recipe. For example, Nigella Lawson's version of "easy" cooking, that often takes half an hour and uses several pots I'll then have to wash up, is the sort of dish I might consider on a day I was feeling particularly well, not on a day I was feeling tired and in lots of pain.

So what I need are recipes that meet the following restrictions:

  • Low financial cost: No posh imported ingredients, no boneless skinless nonsense.

  • Nutritional value: It's important to me that I eat a balanced range of vitamins and other nutrients because this helps in the management of my symptoms.

  • Low on mental spoon-cost: This will vary from person to person, but for me it means working with foods I'm likely to have already in my kitchen (since I can't usually run out at the last minute to pick up a few ingredients). And while I do buy fresh foods regularly, recipes that rely on ingredients with a longer shelf-life are preferred (since I'm more likely to have those things on any given day). Brownie points if you can make a good meal entirely out of non-perishables. Also: if I can minimise the planning-ahead time, that's good too (so foods that have to be prepared a day in advance are right out).

  • Low on physical spoon-cost: This will also vary from person to person, but for me it means minimal chopping, minimal washing up, minimal time I have to spend standing up.


So why is this a social justice issue? Well, as I've written before, the cheapest foods tend either to be low in the nutritional content I need or very high in spoon-cost. Foods that are really easy to prepare tend to be more expensive (because they include the cost of processing, chopping, skinning/boning, etc), and are often less healthy. If they are both easier to prepare and high in the nutritional content that I need, they are high in financial cost; we're talking nice cuts of lean meat and fish, whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables -- all of these are dramatically more expensive than the less healthy options of tinned baked beans, tinned meat, etc.

And as a feminist, I also note that domestic work -- including the purchasing and preparation of food -- is disproportionately allocated to women. And when the women in question are disabled, these are the issues that arise. Oh, and did I mention? Disabled people and women are disproportionately poor.

Anyway I keep looking for new recipes that meet all of these, but the hope that I will find them in one of the cookbooks all the cool kids seem to be using is beginning to fade. As Kaz and I have often remarked, we may just need to write the book(s) ourselves.

Anyway, happy whatever-you-celebrate, or general happiness, if you do not celebrate anything this time of year. May your spoons be plentiful.

--IP

4 comments:

  1. I have some good cheap recipes which I will post here ASAP.

    I like doing quick one-pot meals.

    Nutritional requirements? Veggie/vegan preferred? Any allergies?

    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so here is one to start with:

    CURRIED CHICKPEAS - SERVES 2

    Takes around 15 minutes

    Veg/sunflower oil/other cooking oil
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, chopped/crushed/minced (optional)
    1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped/crushed/minced (optional)
    1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
    1 tsp ground coriander (optional)
    Salt and pepper (optional)
    Chilli - I like to use 1 tsp of the flakes but 1/2 tsp of chilli powder is fine
    A few teaspoons of garam masala, to taste
    1 can chickpeas
    Fresh coriander (optional)

    TO SERVE WITH: Naan breads - one per person (warmed if possible), natural yogurt

    1. Fry onions until tender
    2. Stir in garlic, ginger, spices and ground coriander (if using).
    3. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
    4. Add chickpeas and then half-fill the can with water (cold as hot makes the can too hot) and add that too.
    5. Cook until blended and heated through. (Some of the water should evaporate as well so it is not too runny)
    6. Serve onto bowls or plates. Sprinkle fresh chopped coriander on top.
    7. Serve with the naan breads and a couple of tablespoons of natural yogurt at your discretion.

    ---------------

    This one of my favourites, as it can be vegan if you don't use yogurt or use a substitute. It is definitely veggie. It is basically an amalgamation of a load of recipes I've seen but made easier and less fussy.

    You can use whichever spices you wish as long as you use the garam masala. If you are particularly hard up you can leave out the fresh coriander as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here is another incredibly easy one.

    Another fantastic failsafe...

    COUSCOUS SALAD - SERVES 2

    Takes 10 minutes

    Ingredients

    200g couscous
    lemon juice
    vegetable stock cube
    2 tablespoons olive oil (normal is fine)
    handful chopped parsley
    salt and pepper

    small strips or chunks of cooked/cured meat (you could use leftovers, or some ham) OR smoked tofu/Quorn pieces OR roasted leftover veg

    chopped dried apricots or sultanas (optional, but apricots go particularly well with lamb or mutton and sultanas go well with cured meats like ham)

    if you have any chopped almonds or pine nuts lying around, toast a handful on a hot dry pan and chuck them in, but they are really expensive so I wouldn't buy them specially

    Method
    1. Get a bowl or pan with a lid out. Boil a kettle. Pour on enough water to cover the couscous with a little extra - 250-300ml if you have a measuring jug. Cover with lid or plate or cling film. (If using a stock cube, pour the water over the stock cube in a jug and mix with a fork until there are no lumps, and then pour the stock over the couscous)

    2. Check after 5 minutes. Be careful of the steam, I have burnt myself before. If the couscous has absorbed water and is fluffy (check by stirring it with a fork), it is ready. If not, leave for 2 minutes more and check again.

    3. Fluff up couscous with a fork.

    4. Stir in the olive oil. Season and stir again. Stir in all other ingredients until you have an even distribution. Serve.

    ------------------------------

    This can be vegan or veggie, but if you have a carnivore coming round you can make it to suit them as well. It's ridiculously quick and I quite often have that just as a meal though you can have it as a snack instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Kate! I have a couple of one-pot recipes I use, and variations on a theme of "cous-cous with leftovers" is one I use a lot. I really like the condimenting ideas here -- I might pinch them!

    --IP

    ReplyDelete