Sunday 19 December 2010

Me and You

The individual is a cult of personality, an isolated incident, a dictatorship, an event, a single point. The collective is solidarity, a culture, a democracy, a continuation, a network.

Advantage cannot be given without comparatively removing it from others. One person breaking a glass ceiling does not help everyone else; it just shatters one illusion, leaving shards for everyone who stands below. Now people believe that where there used to be a ceiling, there is none. Don't be fooled; it is still there. One illusion was replaced with another, for there was never a ceiling there in the first place, and now there still is.

Struggle for power and you will find privilege, but look inside yourself and you will find a power without struggle. The difficulty is not an external one, but an internal one, to recognise the power relations that play out every day and to learn to challenge them. It is not about rising up, but about bringing down.

Society exists. We are not just people, but people in relations, a system. We will never be outside such a system, so we must always push at is edges. The revolution is not an event. It is eternal, a fight against inheritance and assumption. It is not outside but within: there is no end state to be achieved, and no inevitability about it.

Even though the struggle is internal, it is not individual. It is a shared struggle against our society, our surroundings, which permeate us and constitute us. It is a revolt against ourselves. But to revolt against your self alone is depression and dulling of the spirit. Collectively it can be joy.

To push against the chains that shackle us all is activity as brilliantly subversive as anything else we can hope to do, and if you do not enjoy it, you're doing it wrong. So: smile at the police lines, dance! When authority seeks control, laugh in its face, for it has no power over your spirit. Rejoice in your disobedience, for it is not merely insurrection but liberation!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard!

    I really like that you've written about activism as a positive experience -- I think that's something most of us experience, but maybe don't write about enough. I know I have a lot of trouble putting "the activist buzz" into words, and the inspiriation/joy/solidarity that the people I campaign with give me.

    I'm not sure it's mutually exclusive with anger though. I campaign both because I'm dissatisfied with the way things are, but also because I love the way things could be, and the people around me who deserve better than the way things are. Productive anger can be good and motivating, and I'm not sure it's less liberating than joy, in certain contexts.

    Hmm, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

    Fab post though, and it's great to have you with us.

    --IP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the welcoming comments :)

    I didn't mean to focus on the joy of activism. What I wrote (that if you're not enjoying it you're doing it wrong) is actually a bit shortsighted. If you're defending your home against baliffs because you can't afford to pay the poll tax, you're definitely resisting but it seems a bit stupid to say that if you're doing it wrong if you're not enjoying it! In general, I think there's times when it's totally necessary to resist in ways which will be far from pleasant, especially the less you are privileged.

    I don't think enjoying resistance is exclusive with anger at your having to resist; anger is probably pretty reasonable and can be a really useful kickstarter. But I think it's pretty unhealthy in the long-term to resist in ways that make you unhappy, or to be using strongly negative emotions as your basis for action for a sustained length of time—that way lies depression and burnout. Sometimes that might be unavoidable, though, and I imagine more so the the less privileged you are.

    In that last paragraph, I'm thinking back to Millbank... there were lines of cops inside the building in riot gear and for a change no-one was scared. People were posing for pictures in the broken glass with the cops as a background. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's helpful, thanks. And I think you're right that it's important to balance those things, for all the reasons that you mentioned.

    Good to have you on board. :-)

    --IP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post! I added a few great quotes to my collection. And the addition in the comments helped as well. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete