Thursday 21 October 2010

The Apprentice: Sexism, Objectification, and Bully Boys

So here's some trad feminism, apologies for the lack of queer...

On the second week of the current series of the Apprentice (UK version) I was absolutely appalled. The contestants were asked to design a product to be used on the beach and then to sell that product to retailers. So far, so standard. But I was shocked and appalled when the person who was project managing the task on the "boys' team" (Sralan's - or should that be Lord Sugar's - words not mine) was asked to 'model' the product wearing what my mother would call 'skimpy' clothing.

And, surprise, surprise, she was the only woman on the team. It was disgusting to see them slobbering over the idea of getting her to be photographed in the clothes and describing it as 'taking one for the team' (sexual much?).

I'm surprised and shocked there hasn't been more comment on this so thought I'd fill the gap slightly by adding my views.

It is supposedly a programme promoting entrepreneurship and business - but instead it became a group of men making a highly intelligent successful businesswoman model beach clothes - and here's the wrong part - against her will. She was so clearly embarassed, telling Nick to 'look away, I don't want you to see me like this.' Also, she was project-managing the task, and she said, 'I might have other things to do... I'm supposed to be managing you all." Yet they essentially bullied her into it: 'Come on mate, take one for the team!'

I was absolutely disgusted by the men on the team's behaviour and surprised the production team or Nick didn't point out what pigs they were being. To be fair, the narration was scathing of their behaviour, but someone should have stepped in.

Here is a clip.

2 comments:

  1. It's absolutely wrong to make anyone do this against their will.

    I was struck by the way the concept of "model" was used. Is the suggestion that it would be ok to use objectification if she were a professional model?

    --IP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so disgusted after watching that. Ew.

    ReplyDelete