Sunday 25 April 2010

so... how do people feel about vagina cupcakes?

Personally, I really don't care what cake looks like as long as I get to eat it. Anyone who has spent five minutes with me will confirm this. Other people seem to be quite inspired by the sight, creating amazing new adjectives like 'vaginadorable'. Also, I hadn't been aware of muppets' genitals... I guess it does make sense. Check out the comments thread here.

Also, note the necklace that someone posted in the comments. How do yo feel about that? I can't find it now, but I once came across a website selling customised vagina pendants. They actually modelled them after photos their customers sent them. So you can wear your own genitals around your neck. Or give them to a loved one. I didn't quite get it, it was supposed to be empowering (I guess). How exactly a disembodied vagina around your neck would have that effect is beyond me. Oh well... each to their own.


image via jezebel.com

Again, there is much that could be said about the visual representation of female sexuality. But I'm busy with my dissertation proposal, so I'll leave it to your imagination for the time being.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd like them very much. There seems to be too much icing for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more worried about the grated coconut (?) they used for the hair. Coconut is so unnecesary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It strikes me as pretty objectifying. I'm not really that keen on the idea that "autonomous sexuality = vagina". Surely autonomous sexuality = basic human decency? Put that on a cupcake and I'll eat it!

    Check these feminist cookies out though:

    Feminist cookie pictures on Flikr.

    I particularly like the one that says "thinks women are people". Now there's an empowering cookie.

    --IP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. They are MUCH better than vagina cupcakes could ever be. I find BAKING an EQUAL PAY cookie ironic in the best possible way. Thanks for the inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete