Thursday 8 April 2010

date rape is spectacular, according to kiely williams.




Dear Kiely Williams,

We need to talk. Your new single disturbs me in so many ways, I don’t know where to start. Tastes differ and I understand that you have to compete with a lot of flesh and glitter on TV, so there is no need to discuss your outfit or your taste in music. But seriously, sister, what’s the deal with your lyrics? Been acting out some rape fantasies lately? Trying to impress the boys’ club?

I won’t question your flirting strategies (he was tall and he was buying, so I gave him a trying), but girl, what happened next? (what was I drinking, I can’t believe I blacked out, last I remember I was face down, ass up, clothes off, broke off, dozed off, even though I’m not sure of his name, he could get it again if he wanted, cause the sex was spectacular). Oh, was it? That seems to be just about the only thing you’re sure of about that night. (you can call me a slut but what he did to me last night felt so good). Honey, I wasn’t going to call you a slut in the first place, maybe you need to find yourself some new friends who don’t discriminate against you because of your healthy sex drive. But that’s a different story. So you’re not sure what went on but you seem to have had a good time, that’s great, more power to you, though personally I don’t quite follow how you had such an amazing time being half-consciously dragged around by this mystery superman. (I must have been on drugs, I hope he used a rubber, or I’mma be in trouble). Ok, Kiely, this is where you lost me. Apparently you aren’t too bothered with consent issues, but you also risked your health and safety (pregnancy is really the last thing you should be worried about at this point), and you thought it was SPECTACULAR. Well, Kiely, I think it was SHIT.

You’re younger than me, but you’re old enough to know you have a responsibility for the messages you choose to send. Your little fairy story seems to have a good ending (here’s to hoping the medical check-up will, too, if you ever care to get one). But this could have gone so very, very wrong. Just to be clear, in MY mind it’s pretty horrifying already. You were possibly drugged and raped, all of this probably without any protection, and your biggest worry is whether your friends will think you’re a slut. I’d very much like to shake you, just to make sure you’re awake now, while you’re singing about this. There are many young women out there who will hear your song and be absolutely horrified because something similar happened to them and they didn’t find it the least bit spectacular. They might feel this kind of thing happens to everyone and everyone else loves it and there is no point in talking to the police about it. There are even more young women out there who will hear it and think this sounds like a sure way to have mind-blowing sex. Last but not least, there are also young men out there who will think your lyrics are a brilliant justification for date-rape, after all, you liked it so much, you’d do it again. No wait, you’d let HIM do it again, because you really had no part in this, you had passed out. Girlfriend, this is really not cool.

Maybe this was all just a misunderstanding and you’ll prove to me soon that you’re not that brainless and irresponsible at all. I can’t wait to hear your next single, ‚Open my legs, tell my what ya think’, scheduled for release later this year.

Respectfully,

Alva

4 comments:

  1. <3 i saw a rant about this "video" the other day and yeah.. same reaction here.

    and also, i thought you might like this one: http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2010/04/04/not-really-a-weekend-arts-section-manic-pixie-songwriting-dream-girls-a-history-in-youtube-and-published-slur/

    i certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the truly awful singing will mean that this doesn't get very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually what makes me more worried is that this girl has something to do with Disney (?) see here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=604633&id=18496388599

    Which means that she's some sort of role model for young children...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... Disney... don't even get me started... like when Justin was happily singing 'she wants it'...

    ReplyDelete