Wednesday 2 June 2010

come as you are.

IP, the number of posts you've written over the last few weeks is out of control - more power to you. I spend all day, every day at the library these days and when I get home my mind is a vacuum (with an occasional AIDS metaphor floating around) so I'm just going to post yet another video.

McDonald's has apparently decided to woo the French public with a bit of father-son-bonding over pretty boys in a school photo. Apart from finding it a bit worrying that these people spend quality time in a fast food restaurant, what do you make of it (as a message, as a marketing strategy...)?

3 comments:

  1. Bill O'Reilly apparently feels rather threatened by the whole thing. Anything that makes Bill O'reilly uncomfortable I find highly entertaining.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIE4isBXqE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transcript (in English...French will be harder, but I'm working on it) for those who want it:

    ((A father and son are at McD's. The father is at the counter getting food, and the son is at a table looking at a class picture. His mobile phone rings and he answers.))

    Son: Hello? ((Pause)) I was thinking about you too. ((Pause)) I was looking at our class picture. ((Pause)) I miss you too. ((Pause)) I have to go, my father is coming back. Big hugs. ((Hangs up phone)).

    Father: ((Returns to table with tray of food)) Here. Is that your class picture?

    Son: Mhm.

    Father: I had the same head as you at your age. Girls just loved me. Too bad there are only boys in your class.

    Son: ((Half-frowns, half-laughs))

    Father: You would get lucky.

    Cut to plain black background with the tag line "Come as you are" in white, and the McD logo.

    --IP

    ReplyDelete
  3. French...with an alert for gaps, spelling errors and transcription errors, but you get the drift.

    Son: Halo? Moi aussi, je pensais à toi. Je regardai la foto de classe. Toi aussi, tu manque. Il faut que je te laisse, mon père est la. Je t' embrasse.

    Father: Voilà. C'est la foto de classe?

    Son: Mhm.

    Father: J'avais la même tête que toi a ton age. ((Bit I can't hear properly.)) Domage que il y a que des garçons dans ta classe. Tu auras eus tes chances.

    Tag line: Venez commes vous êtes.

    --IP

    ReplyDelete